Coping with CHAOS was started in 1997 by two local East Dorset parents, Liz Morris and Anne Boyce, both of whom had children with very different disabilities. Based on their personal experiences, they identified the need for an organisation that provided support, not only for the disabled child but for the siblings as well and ultimately the parents.
Today over 300 families are registered and Coping with CHAOS is recognised as a major provider of short breaks for families with disabled children in the area.
All the permanent staff are parents of children with disabilities or have experience of working with disabilities.
The purpose of Coping with CHAOS is:
- to support the whole family and the principle that all children and young people have equal access and can participate in play and suitable activities therefore have fun together
- to provide help and support, information and advice, friendships and short term respite care for families and carers who look after a disabled child/children and or young person/people
- to provide for children/young adults with complex, PMD and challenging behaviour that cannot easily access other resources and play schemes.
The Coping with CHAOS service provides:
- play sessions every weekday of the school holidays for the whole family, including siblings
- a youth club for 48 weeks of the year for 13-19 year olds
- a parent be-friending service
- parent support on Facebook
- equipment lending
- monthly coffee mornings and drop-ins
- a sensory room, ball pool and library of toys as well as self help books
- workshops / information sessions for parents.
For support on Facebook please visit the Friends of CHAOS to keep in touch with other CHAOS parents for support, exchange information and tips. Also visit the Transitions Information Parent Support (TIPS), which is for parents with children approaching, or in, transition.
View our image gallery…
Getting in contact…
Telephone: 01202 855105
Office opening hours are Monday – Thursday 9.30am – 2.30pm term time only.
Where is Coping with CHAOS…
The Families Centre, Bond Avenue, West Moors, Ferndown BH22 0LL